Thursday, September 30, 2010

Elizabeth City

Although I was just a few steps ahead of Tropical Storm Nicole, I loved my recent, quick trip to Elizabeth City, North Carolina.

IMG_0911

Located along the Albemarle Sound, Elizabeth City is the sweetest little community with a great, walkable downtown.

I was there to work on the Elizabeth City Chamber of Commerce's 2011 Images magazine and website to promote their community. And it's a pretty easy job in a laid-back, friendly and picturesque community like theirs. I kind of wanted to move there and buy this building:
IMG_0920

although this wouldn't be a bad view from your back porch, either:

IMG_0919
The city is just about an hour's drive away from the Outer Banks, so once I had explored a bit, I took a side trip to Kitty Hawk Beach and had fantastic conch fritters at Rundown Cafe.

IMG_0933

Part of the drive was through some serious swampland (Elizabeth City is very close to the Dismal Swamp) which made for a surreal drive with frogs croaking and hopping all around.

The rain began in earnest on the way back from the beach and would go on to deluge the city as I was leaving (although thankfully the storm did no serious damage). I'd love to go back to Elizabeth City during better weather and stay a little longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment